Joining the IEP Staff
We are looking for a recruiting editor who will actively recruit authors of articles in all areas of philosophy. This position can be filled for a short time period, such as several months, rather than being a permanent position. The editor must have a Ph.D. in philosophy. Also, we are seeking area editors for unfilled areas and volunteers to help with copyediting, modifying article graphics, formatting LaTeX formulas, and other tasks. (If you are interested in submitting an article, see the Submit page.)
Philosophy professors are encouraged to e-mail the editor with requests to be an area editor for the IEP. Please check our list of area editors for open positions. The primary responsibilities of area editors include:
- maintaining a list of most needed articles in the area,
- recruiting authors for articles,
- coordinating peer evaluation of articles submitted, and
- making a decision about whether to publish submitted articles.
We are seeking volunteers for a variety of tasks at different skill levels:
- Formatters: Articles submitted to the IEP are published by moving the article's text and formatting into the WordPress interface. Volunteers for this task should have knowledge of basic web formatting skills. Knowledge of LaTeX programming would be especially helpful for articles about logic.
- Copy editors: Copy editors are needed to read through newly accepted articles and make the appropriate changes. Ideally, volunteers for this task should have a B.A. degree in some Humanities discipline, such as Philosophy, English, or History, and have basic copy editing skills; however, you can help even without meeting these qualifications.
- Recruiters: To help expand the number of articles and the breadth of coverage of important areas of philosophy, we seek recruiters who will systematically contact philosophy departments and organizations requesting submissions. Candidate must have a Ph. D. in philosophy.
- Graphic Designer: Every few months the IEP receives an article whose line drawings need revising or whose photo needs some minor alteration.
- Computer consultants: The Encyclopedia is in regular need of special help with computer-related issues, such as revising our WordPress program, doing Unix-based programming, or installing software such as statistics programs and search engines. Volunteers for any of these tasks should be professionally trained computer technicians who have experience creating and running websites for businesses or organizations.
- Current: Christopher Alldredge, Ahmed Arafa, Michelle Ardila, Dominic Connaway, Kal Curran, Josh Dowden, Brittany Dowdle, Catherine Elian, Arianna Falbo, Jeffrey Fisher, Natasa Gassia, Julie Griffith, Yonina Hoffman, Heather Hoyt, Christine Jakobson, William S. Jones, Joseph Kassman-Tod, Varak Ketsemanian, Nathan Kraatz, Katherine Laparan, Gennifer Lehmer, Luke Manning, John Miller, Michael Murray, Daniel Palamara, Mohan Pillai, Tanya Quin, Sonali Raj, Mark Rittenmeyer, Lauryn Smith, Jennifer Snelling, Akilesh Sridharan, Greg Stokley, Dzmitry Tsapkou, Molly Watson, Samuel Webb, Adam Young. Former Volunteers...
- Technical Editors and Consultants: Marilynn Lawrence, Joshua Dowden (San Francisco Web Designer), Bryan Foltz
- Legal Consultant: Brian Butler
- The IEP is run on WordPress, an open-source publishing platform. Josh May customized the design based on a default theme, with programming done by Alex Bundy.
- The IEP is housed on the University of Tennessee at Martin's main web server, which is maintained by the University's Computer Center.
- The former IEP graphics and layout program were designed by Marilynn Lawrence; the former indexing program was written by Chris Caldwell.